The following was written by Lillian Dills for Homecoming, August 21, 1988.
On May 6, 1877, 17 people met and constituted Mount Moriah Baptist Church. The Reverend GW Brooks was the first pastor. The church building was erected on land donated by Richard Whitmre in the Calvert-Cherryfield area. Times were hard, money was scarce and jobs hard to find. Many struggles and problems - but the church grew over the years with regular prayer meetings, Sunday school, revivals, and the dedication and commitment of the people to the Lord's work. In 19 years, the church grew from 17 members to 152.
In 1922 many felt the need to build the present church (a continuation of the original church). Mr. JC Whitmire donated the land and work on the church building began in May 1923. Much of the work was done by volunteer labor or the members and their families. Much of the material was donated also. Cobblestone for the foundation and sand were hauled from nearby creeks and from East Fork. Some was hauled on horse drawn wagons. As soon as the roof was on, services were held in the new building with a membership of 111. No November 11, 1923 the church building was dedicated. The church grew spiritually and physically. Revival meetings would sometimes continue two weeks or more. In August 1923, a revival meeting continued for two weeks and three days. Forty-one were received into the church, 9 by letter, 5 restored, and 27 baptism.
The Lord's Acre projects began in 1936 with 60 individual projects. The proceeds were used for church building improvements; the first being the installation of a central heating system.
There have bene periods of slow growth and problems and periods of much growth. The blessings have been greater than the problems. Hundreds have been saved. The church became fully organized with well-rounded opportunities for all ages in enlistment, training, worship, prayer meetings and missions, both home and foreign.
Three men were licensed to preach - Troy Whitlock, Harold Owen, and Ray Justice.
The first Vacation Bible School was in 1939.
The pastorium was built in 1959. The educational building was built in 1962 and dedicated in January 1963. On June 19, 1966 an organ was presented to the church by the family of JC Whitmire in his memory.
The greatest period of growth was from June 1958 to September 1963 with 152 additions, 78 by baptism, 74 by letter. During this time there were many community projects. Two of these were a house built for a family whose house burned and a house built for one of our members.
April 16, 1967 the name of the church was changed by vote of from Mount Moriah-Cherryfield to Cherryfield.